WSET Level 3 Award in Wines (ONLINE)
* Please note fee increase to R13,900 effective 01 October 2021*
The course is based around a 9-week structured online programme with a recommendation of 10 hours study per week to cover the online activities and read the relevant chapters in the textbook. There is also a 1 day tasting tutorial. The course follows a weekly structure, but it allows the student to work ahead or catch up on the activities and forums. There are no set times to log into the course as there are no live chats or webinars.
|Course Duration:||9 weeks|
|Exam Duration:||30 minutes – Tasting Paper + Two hours – Theory paper|
|Award:||Certificate and Metal Lapel Pin|
All study materials will be couriered to you as they are required to accompany the online tuition.
The course prepares the student for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines examinations and are guided by a WSET educator. The student can contact the educator any time for the duration of the scheduled course, should they have any questions. Each week includes a series of independent and/or group activities that guide the student through the key wine regions of the world looking at the factors in the vineyard and winery that influence wine styles.
Attendance at a tasting session, introducing the Level 3 tasting technique is required in order to gain an advanced knowledge of the Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine© which is not only used in most major international competitions but also the standard required for the blind tasting exam paper element of the exam.
Students are advised to taste a range of wines during their studies. A list of recommended tasting samples can be found in the Course Specifications PDF. Students can post their tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator. Additional tastings may be included at our discretion.
- Wines are not included in the cost of this course and although it will greatly enhance your learning experience, it is not compulsory to taste any wine.
- Lessons are online but students are required to attend a tasting calibration session and sit their examination with us in person.
- If either your course books or certificate are required outside of South Africa, please contact us for total course fees.
It is considered a prerequisite for candidates planning to study for the WSET Level 4 Diploma. This highly professional qualification is taught by MWs, MW students, WSET Diploma graduates and other senior industry specialists.
This course is NOT suitable for beginners and you will need to have either completed WSET Level 2 or have a similar level of knowledge to be able to succeed in this course. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Who it is aimed at
Serious wine lovers who wish to learn about wines in a rigorous and structured manner and gain an internationally-recognised wine qualification.
People employed in the drinks and hospitality industries in a supervisory capacity, needing core information to advise management and customers with authority and make informed selections of wines.
The exam at the end of the course consists of two parts. A blind tasting paper of two wines and a theory paper of both multiple choice and short answer questions. A mark of 55% is required on both the tasting and theory papers to pass.
Week 1: Factors Affecting Style, Quality and Price of Wine
- Learn about the principal natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery and how they influence the style, quality and price of wine.
Week 2: Tasting technique, Wine Laws and Service
- Learn to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Learn about the fundamental rules of wine labelling.
- Learn about the principals of food and wine pairing, storage and service of wine.
Weeks 3-5: Factors Affecting the Wine, Style and Quality of Wines from Europe
- Learn about the natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery and how they influence the wine, style and quality in the key wine regions and districts of Europe.
Weeks 6-7: Factors Affecting the Wine, Style and Quality of Wines from the Rest of the World
- Learn about the natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery and how they influence the wine, style and quality in the key wine regions of the rest of the world
- Learn about the key regional grape variety specialities of the rest of the world.
Week 8: Sparkling and Fortified Wines
- Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries.
- Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of fortified wines from the key wine producing countries.
Week 9: Revision & Resources
- Revision exercises and a mock multiple-choice examination in preparation for the examinations.
Included with this course
- All online tuition
- All course materials including:
- WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine card
- 112 page Level 3 Study Guide
- 200 page Level 3 Course Book
- Course Specification Book
- Exam Fees
- International Courier Costs (exams are marked in London)
- Domestic courier costs for your course books
- Certificate with Metal Lapel Pin for all successful students
- Domestic courier costs for your Certificate and Lapel Pin
The exam comprises of two papers; a Tasting Paper and a Theory Paper. You need to attain a pass mark of 55% or above in both papers to pass overall.
Below are the results you can attend and the marks required.
Pass with Distinction:
80% and above
Pass with Merit
Between 65% and 79%
Between 55% and 64%
Between 45% and 54%
44% and below
The Tasting Paper consists of a blind tasting of two wines that you have 30 minutes to complete.
The Theory Paper consists of both 50 multiple choice questions and four short written answer questions that you have two hours to complete.
As with every WSET exam around the world, the exam papers are sent to WSET in London, UK to be marked to ensure global continuity with the results.
Results are know up to 10 weeks later when we will inform you by email. The certificate and metal lapel pin for successful candidates will follow from London approximately a week later.
If you are unsuccessful you are able to retake the exams without having to retake the course and also need only take the paper your were unsuccessful with.
The cost to resit the Tasting exam is currently R900. The cost to resit the Theory exam is R2,100. Please contact us for potential dates.