4This is an entry level qualification providing a straightforward introduction to wine. It is a great course for those wanting to know about wine styles, grape varieties, food & wine pairing and correct service and storage of wines.
The course will be based around a 4-week, 7 module online learning programme with educator support available for this time. The course modules should be followed in order, but students are free to complete the modules at their own pace during this 4-week window. The course material should take about 6 hours in total to complete, plus revision time.
The course prepares the student for the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines examination and are guided by a WSET educator. The student can contact the educator any time for the duration of the scheduled course, should they have any questions. Each week includes a series of independent and/or group activities to help students understand the differences between grape varieties and types and styles of wine.
All study materials are included in the online course.
Regular access and participation in the course online activities is essential for this mode of study.
Students are advised to taste a range of wines during their studies. All the required wines for the course can be found in the online Equipment List. A list of other additional recommended wines can be found in the Specifications on our website www.thewinecentre.co.za. Students can post their tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator. Additional tastings may be included by the APP at their discretion.
- Wines are not included in the cost of this course and although it will greatly enhance your learning experience, it is not compulsory to taste any wine.
- Lessons are online but students are required to sit their examination with us in person.
- If either your course books or certificate are required outside of South Africa, please contact us for total course fees.
Who it is aimed at:
- Wine consumers wanting to know more about wines within an interactive, structured framework.
- Candidates with their first job in hospitality or retail.
Each course comprises of a lesson date (see 'Lesson Dates' below) and an exam date (See 'Exam Date' below).
The lectures are run on one full day from 09h00 to 17h00 that includes the examination at the end. The exam lasts for 45 minute and consists of 30 multiple choice questions. The pass mark is 70%.